Prior to move-in
- In your approval notification, you will be given an expected move-in date.
- Once maintenance and cleaning has been completed and the final inspection has been scheduled, you will be contacted to schedule a day and time to come to the office to pick up your keys and any additional documentation. The Customer Service agent will calculate your move in funds (prorated rent/admin fee/etc.) which must be paid with a cashier’s check or money order.
- You will then be emailed a link to sign your lease online. All tenants and co-signers must sign the lease prior to move in day.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 360-733-7944.
The day of the move
The day of moving in is often busy and can be stressful! Preparation and planning will help. Below is information you need to know when picking up the keys at our office on your scheduled date/appointment to help things go more smoothly.
- When you come to our office to pick up your keys, pay your balance either with a money order or cashier’s check. Credit cards, debit cards, and cash are NOT accepted in the office, (although cards may be used through the online portal after move-in). Keys will not be released until all balances are paid in full and all parties have signed the lease.
- Prior to your move-in date, Windermere Management will have done an inspection to assess the condition of the rental property.
- You will be given the “move-in condition checklist” to add anything you see that our agent may have missed. It is your responsibility to verify that the condition of the unit is adequately and accurately documented on the check list.
- The condition checklist must be returned to Windermere Management within 3-7 days of the move-in date.
Things to know about your new home
When you move, it is important to know where important items are located. Get to know and locate these:
- Main electrical circuit breaker
- Gas shut off valve (if applicable)
- GFI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) plugs
- Main water shut-off and water shut-offs below the sinks and behind toilets
- If you have a de-humidifier in your unit, ask how to use it properly
- Appliances – information may be found in the maintenance section of our website
Move-in condition inspection checklist
For your protection, the “Condition Checklist” is an important legal document that will help determine how much of your deposit will be returned to you at the end of your lease. You must leave your rental in the same condition as it was originally, less the “normal” wear and tear. Document anything and everything, even if you’re not sure. It’s better to be safe in this category.
The checklist is an inspection sheet, used to assess the condition of the unit at move in so we can have an exact comparison. We manage many units and want to be accurate for you. We may also take photos to help document the initial condition in case the written document is not descriptive enough. If photos are taken, they will be shared on your tenant portal for you to review. Windermere Management performs the move-in inspection before releasing the keys to you.
Important to Note:
- Windermere Management may not document all items in each individual category. You must document information on the checklist in the actual categories. You are responsible for making sure this document is complete.
- Please return the Inspection Checklist to our office within 3-7 days of your move-in date.
- If you disagree with our notes significantly, please contact our office to discuss your concerns. We are here to help.
About the keys
Do all roommates need to be there to pick-up the keys?
Each tenant is responsible for picking up their own set of keys and signing their portion of any remaining documents. Keys will never be released to only one tenant.
May I change the date or time to pick-up my keys?
- Date and time changes may be scheduled with our customer service staff. Email us at email@example.com or call our office.
- Physical move-in days typically cannot be moved up any sooner, but the time can often be changed to earlier in the day.
- Even if the date of the physical move-in is changed, rent will still start on the lease move-in date. You must have all balances paid in full by the move-in date.
May someone other than a person on the lease pick-up my keys?
If the balances are paid in full and all documents have been pre-signed, a tenant can give Windermere Management written authorization to release their keys to a designated party on their behalf. The designated party must present valid photo ID.