When it’s time to move out, there are a lot of things to do besides packing! Read our helpful tips to help make your move more efficient and get your damage deposit back.
One Month Ahead
Schedule your moving help far ahead of time. Try to have all items removed at least 2 days prior to the move out date in order to leave the unit on time and clean.
2 Weeks Before:
- Mail – please provide the post office with a forwarding address at usps.com.
- Electricity – stop or move service for your home or apartment directly with Puget Sound Energy at pse.com. Schedule service stop or transfer date effective as of your move out date with Windermere.
- Cable TV – Transfer cable, internet or other related services.
2 Days Before:
- Remove your personal belongings to allow time to clean.
- Review our Cleaning Check List on the back of the move out form.
- Vacuum thoroughly. The carpets will be professionally cleaned after you move out as per your Lease, so please do not do this yourself. But, please remove all debris or additional charges may apply.
- Dispose of non-household furniture at a proper location. Do not use the dumpster.
Replace these items before you leave to avoid extra charges:
- Burned out light bulbs – if ceilings are too high to replace, leave new bulbs on the kitchen counter. Non-conforming (not similar) light bulbs (all bulbs must be of similar type and 65 watts or less).
- Missing or dead smoke/carbon monoxide detector batteries. If ceilings are too high to replace, leave the new batteries on the kitchen counter.
- Oven drip pans that are size appropriate to the appliance.
By end of day on the day your lease expires, return keys, parking permits, mailbox keys, storage keys, garage door openers, etc. to our Windermere Property Management office at 541 W. Bakerview Road. Please bring all keys from ALL roommates at once. Keys MUST be returned to Windermere Management. Do not leave keys at the unit.
After Moving Out:
Please leave Windermere a forwarding address (and phone number) so we can mail your deposit refund check. In the case of multiple tenants, deposits will be mailed to the forwarding address of the tenant representative. Deposit refunds will be mailed to the rental address in absence of any forwarding address.
About the keys
Keys MUST be returned to Windermere Management. Do not leave keys at the unit.
If you plan to mail the keys, make sure they are SECURE in the envelope and it is mailed well in advance to be received by our office by end of day of your lease expiration date.
If the office is closed, please place all related items in an envelope. Write your unit address on the sealed envelope before placing them in our drop box. Be sure you enclose a forwarding address and phone number.
A Windermere employee will compare all the items you are returning to the original check out sheet. You may be charged for any discrepancies such as keys that don’t match the originals. If we do not receive the original keys and any copies made, you will be charged to change the locks.
Once keys are received in our office, the move out inspection will be performed by one of our property managers.
How move out charges are determined
There are 4 main categories: Paint, Flooring, Cleaning, and Maintenance
- At inspection, Windermere will document all cleaning, painting, carpet and damage issues found in the unit and compare them to the condition checklist from move-in.
- You will be responsible for any damages or painting that are not considered normal wear & tear AND are not documented on the move-in checklist.
- You will be charged for any cleaning needed that was not documented at move-in.
- Deposit refunds are mailed from our office approximately 21 days from receipt of the unit keys.
Deposit return disputes
If you disagree with a charge, please contact us at 360-733-7944 and tell us exactly which item(s) you are disputing so we can review the move out inspection notes and all other related documents. We want you AND the property owner to be happy, so please take care of your unit and clean it thoroughly when you move.
Holdover Charges: if you remain in your unit for any reason beyond the date your Lease expires or fail to return keys by the same date / time, you will be charged the cost of the daily rent for each day in the holdover period and if necessary the cost of re-keying the lock(s) and making new keys.
Deposit Returns Involving Multiple Roommates: the deposit check will be mailed to the tenant representative as stated on the lease documents.
House Utilities: make sure all your garbage, water/sewer, electricity, and gas bills are paid through the date the keys are returned. Outstanding utility balances (water/sewer and garbage) will be deducted from the security deposit. Please leave the Garbage/Recycling bins empty on the day of move out. Call ahead for special pickups from Sanitary Service Corp if needed. If you are responsible for lawn care, all the beds must be weeded and clear of debris, bushes trimmed and grass cut, and yard waste removed as described in your Lease.